Tuesday, March 6, 2012

In-Formation March 11


Signposts for Renewal
March 11 – In-Formation
Anchor: Signposts
Frame: Scripture can be a signpost directing us to home, to life, to renewal
Thread: New signs (I may not know where I am, but I know I’m not lost)

                I am told that in years past, those who knew how to survive in the desert kept a look out for a tiny sign of hope: the dragonfly. Dragonflies are water-dependent creatures, and when a dragonfly was seen it could be followed and it would eventually (and assuredly) lead you to water. Dragonflies mean that there is water nearby, good news indeed in the desert.
                Scripture (the Bible) has been like dragonflies for a lot of people. Many of us do not know the grand sweep of the biblical narratives, nor have memorized the genealogies of the forebears of the faith. But lots of people know a verse here or there, something that has carried them through a difficult time or given them words of joy and thanks in times of celebration. On Facebook I asked what pieces of scripture have acted like signposts in your life. I got three responses so far:

                Zephaniah  3:17 (Just always what tells me to go forward in tough times.)
The Lord, your God, is in your midst,
   a warrior who gives victory;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
   he will renew you in his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing

                I Kings 19:11-12 (a reminder not to look or listen to wrong things.)
 God said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain before Yhwh, for Yhwh is about to pass by.’ Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before Yhwh, but Yhwh was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but Yhwh was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but Yhwh was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence.

                Esther 4:14 (I am here -- "for such a time as this...")
For if you keep quiet at such a time as this, help and protection will come to the Jews from another quarter, but you and your father’s family will perish. Yet, who knows whether it was not for such a time as this that you were made queen?’

I am hoping we can find ways of lifting up the little signposts, the dragonflies,  that help us correct our course, or change direction, or head us toward home or life or hope. I’m thinking we could hand out blank cards as everyone comes in, asking them to reference a verse or passage that has been a signpost for them. Then we gather these up and read them throughout the service.

                I find it fascinating that even with only 3 responses we see quite varied examples of how scripture functions in our lives. (I also find it interesting that the 1st 3 responses are all Old Testament!)  I know from asking similar questions that often the 23rd Psalm is mentioned, especially in difficult or mournful times. We could bring back Bobby McFerrin’s beautiful version for his mother (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgbvHM03dMs&feature=related). I think this would be an apt time to hear from individuals for whom a passage or verse has had real meaning, and how that has affected the direction of their lives.

                If we have a “driver” skit again this week, we might have the driver seeing those kind of “Burma Shave” signs where each sign gives you just a word or two and to get the whole message you have to see all of them. We could get people to carry each sign across the front. I haven’t figured out what those signs might say yet!
                There are a couple of bible ideas I would like to confront. There is a saying that “BIBLE” means “basic instruction before leaving earth.” I believe the bible has much more to say about to how we live life here on earth than it does about the afterlife. The bible is not an escape hatch from life; it is a doorway into life in all its fullness.
                So, as far as scripture goes for Sunday, I think those signpost passages should be our focus. Therefore, I do not have a single passage to propose. Let’s ask each other what our signpost passages are.

No comments:

Post a Comment